Tropea onions, a cross of shallots and red onions, flourish near the Tyrrhenian Sea. In Calabria, these onions define the culinary scene. This Italian dish fuses traditional flavors with Tropea's essence.
- 3 tbsp Italian Olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 cups thinly sliced lengthwise Tropea onions or red onions
- 1½ cup broth vegetarian or chicken
- 2 tbsp mascarpone cheese
- ¼ cup chopped arugula or fresh basil
- Sea salt to taste
- 454 g spaghetti
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large sauté pan; add garlic. Cook for 1 minute until just fragrant.
- Add onions; continue cooking over medium heat for 3 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Add broth, ½ cup at a time; simmer until onions are translucent and creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water to al dente (as per directions). Add cooked pasta to the pan with onions; toss to coat well.
- Add arugula and mascarpone cheese; toss well. (You may want to add a little more broth to thin sauce.)
- Plate pasta and drizzle with olive oil, fresh pepper, and sea salt!
Korey’s Tip: High quality Italian cold pressed olive oil will elevate the dish.