These tasty little bites are perfect for brunch or as a cocktail snack. They can be assembled and refrigerated for up to 8 hours before baking and can be enjoyed warm or at room temperature.
- ¾ cup (115 g) finely chopped cooked ham
- ⅓ cup (80 g) each grated mozzarella and Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons (12 g) minced chives or green onions
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (57 g) mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons (28 g) Dijon
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed but still cold
- Flour, for dusting
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Fresh herbs or microgreens, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- In a bowl, combine the ham, cheeses, chives, and pepper. Stir to blend well and set aside.
- In another bowl, blend the mayonnaise and Dijon. Add half the mixture to the ham mixture; stir to blend well. Reserve the remaining mayonnaise mixture to use as a dipping sauce.
- Unroll the puff pastry and place it on a lightly floured piece of parchment paper. Lightly dust the top of the pastry with flour then lay another piece of parchment paper on top. Gently roll the pastry out to a 12 × 12 inch (30 × 30 cm) square. Remove and discard the top sheet of parchment. Trim the edges as needed so you are left with a neat square of pastry.
- Cut the pastry into 16 squares, each 3 × 3 inches (7.5 × 7.5 cm). Pick up the parchment paper and transfer it and the pastry squares to a large baking tray.
- Place a tablespoon of the ham mixture in the centre of each pastry square, along the diagonal.
- With your fingertip, brush a little of the beaten egg on the corner of the pastry facing away from you. Fold the opposite corner over the filling first, then fold the corner with the egg yolk over it and press gently to seal.
- Repeat with remaining pastry squares then position about 2 inches apart on the parchment-lined baking tray. Brush the tops with the remaining egg yolk.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12–14 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Garnish with herbs or microgreens and serve with dipping sauce.
Make 16 puffs