The layering of textures with raw and cooked vegetables, creamy cheeses, tangy flavours, red green and white colours and the right bread is my idea of a delicious sandwich.
The autumn harvest provides so many opportunities to fulfill these criteria with ease.
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup charred cooked corn kernels, divided
- 3 oz goat cheese
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise, plain yogurt or sour cream
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise or Dijon mustard
- ½ cup baby arugula
- 2 slices beefsteak tomato
- 4–6 slices breaded & fried zucchini
- In a small bowl, combine ¾ cup of charred corn kernels, goat cheese, mayonnaise and pepper; set aside or refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- On two serving plates, place a slice of bread on each. Spread a little mayonnaise or mustard then add arugula, fried zucchini slices, tomato slices & some of the reserved charred corn.
- On remaining two pieces of bread; spread as much of the goat cheese and corn mixture as you like topped with more arugula (the cheese glues everything together).
- Place the cheese & arugula-topped bread on top of the tomato-topped bread and press lightly.
- Serve immediately with a big napkin!
Bonus tip: Dip beefsteak tomatoes into a pot of hot water and then peel them for a tender & even juicier tomato experience!
Substitute the fried zucchini with fried green tomatoes or grilled Halloumi cheese.