These days, those with special dietary needs or preferences may be having a little difficulty accessing all their favourite products. The good news, however, for fans of gluten-free fare, is that these buns are super simple to prepare and really delicious whether eaten on their own or topped with favourite add-ons like sliced tomatoes, avocado or even a perfectly-grilled burger or Portobello mushroom cap. Even for those who eat ‘regular’ bread, these buns are so tasty you may find you’ll want them in your regular rotation. Note that you can also make one large ‘bun’ with this recipe and use it as pizza crust.
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Parmesan
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Mozzarella or Swiss cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 mL) each dried basil and pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine the cheeses and herbs in a medium sized bowl. Pour the beaten egg over top and stir to blend well.
- Using a large cookie dough scoop or a tablespoon, divide the mixture into four equally-sized portions on the prepared baking sheet, spacing them several inches apart. Put the tray in the preheated oven and bake for 16 – 18 minutes, until uniformly golden brown.
Makes 4 buns; recipe can easily be multiplied.