Often found at the market on a long stalk, Brussels sprouts are typically a love ‘em or leave ‘em vegetable. But flash cooking over high heat with a little bacon can be the game changer.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 8 minutes
- 2 pieces bacon, sliced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) toasted pine nuts
- 16 Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved lengthwise
- Sea salt and freshly-ground pepper, to taste
- In heavy bottom sauté pan or cast iron pan, cook bacon over medium high heat until crispy; about 5 minutes; remove from pan and set aside.
- Reserve 1 tbsp. (15 mL) bacon fat in pan; heat pan over high heat until bacon fat is sizzling; place Brussels sprouts cut side down and leave for about 2 minutes or until deeply browned.
- Flip each sprout over and cook an additional minute or until just fork-tender and bright green.
- Sprinkle with pine nuts, reserved bacon, salt and pepper and serve immediately.
Add your favourite Gorgonzola cheese along with the bacon and pine nuts for an extra decadent side dish.