Vegetarian, vegan and omnivore approved! Chickpeas add protein and the sweet potatoes are both hearty and delicious. Serves 4 - double or triple the recipe to feed a crowd.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch pieces
- 1 large cooking onion, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 540 mL can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) coarse kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) coriander seeds (or 1/2 teaspoon/2.5 mL ground cumin)
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/3 cup (90 mL) vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) honey (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) freshly squeezed lime juice (about 2 medium limes)
- 1/2 tps (2.5 mL) kosher salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pepitas
- (green pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) fresh coriander leaves, chopped
Preheat oven to 400F.
Put sweet potato, onion and chickpeas on one large, rimmed, parchment-lined baking sheet (or divide among two smaller sheets).
Drizzle with olive oil, then use your hands to toss the mixture so everything gets coated evenly. Sprinkle the garlic powder, smoked paprika and salt over top.
Place in preheated oven and roast for about 25 - 30 min, stirring once half way through, until potatoes are tender but not mushy, and the onions are starting to caramelize.
While vegetables roast, make the dressing. Lightly toast the coriander seeds in a dry skillet until they smell fragrant, then lightly crush or bruise the toasted seeds with a mortar and pestle or the bottom of a sturdy mug or cup. Set aside.
In a glass jar with a tight lid, place the minced garlic and 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil. Heat in microwave on medium-high power for 45 seconds. This will par-cook the garlic and infuse the oil.
Add the toasted coriander seeds, honey, Dijon, lime juice, salt and pepper to the garlic and oil mixture. Cover tightly and shake to blend well. Add remaining oil to the jar and shake again. Taste and adjust honey, salt, pepper or lime juice to suit your tastes.
When vegetables are cooked, remove from oven and transfer to a large bowl. Immediately drizzle half the dressing over top and toss very gently to combine. Add more dressing as needed so the vegetables are thoroughly coated but not drowning in dressing.
Let sit at room temperature up to two hours before serving, or refrigerate for longer storage (up to 4 days.)
Serve garnished with pepitas and cilantro.