Airy fairy Instagram sensation, Cloud Eggs are anchored in a delicious rancheros sauce. No longer simmering in the sauce, these heavenly eggs float and shine above the rest.
PREP TIME: 15 minutes
COOK TIME: 15 minutes
BAKE TIME: 6 minutes
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
1 red pepper, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 small onion, diced
1 can (19 oz) diced tomatoes
4 large eggs, room temperature
Pinch each sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped chives, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- In large saucepan, sauté peppers and onions in oil over medium high until thickened, about 10 minutes; add tomatoes, bring to boil and simmer until thickened, about 10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, line large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Separate egg whites and egg yolks, placing egg whites in large bowl and yolk in small bowl.
- Using whisk or hand mixer, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Gently fold in salt and pepper. Create 4 mounds of egg whites on prepared baking sheet; indent centers of each to look like nests. Bake until slightly golden, about 3 minutes.
- Carefully add an egg yolk to the center of each cloud. Season yolk with salt and pepper. Bake until the yolks are just set, about 3 minutes more.
- To serve, place 1/4 of rancheros sauce into shallow pasta bowl and top with one Cloud Egg. Garnish with chives. Serve immediately.
Be sure to have a clean separation of yolk from whites. Even the tiniest bit of egg yolk will stop the eggs whites from beating up light and fluffy.