Since opening its doors in 1976, The University of Ottawa Heart Institute has flourished into one of Canada’s most distinguished heart health centres. The unparalleled care provided to patients and the world-renowned bench-to-bedside research programs are all possible because of a loyal community which is why we celebrate Heart Month together each year.
‘February Is Heart Month” is expanding the fundraising potential through matching donations all month long and helping raise awareness around heart health and the research being done at the OHI. The opportunity to ‘Light The Town Red”, celebrate patient stories, recognize corporate support, engage the community, and honor the work being done every day is what makes this month so special. For anyone who has been given the “gift of time” because of the Heart Institute, heart month lives on, all year long.
There are numerous ways to help raise funds and awareness for the Heart Institute during Heart Month.
- Donate. Our Corporate Community Heroes match every donation. That means that every gift will have double the impact.
- Raise awareness and make your neighbourhood glow by participating in Light the Town Red. Join local businesses and landmarks and light up your lawns, porches, and windows.
- Buy a paper heart at a participating business.
- Don your best red Sens gear at the Ottawa Senators vs. Detroit Red Wings game on February 28. That night, proceeds from 50:50 ticket sales will support research at the Heart Institute.
- Sign up for the Big Heart Challenge and get ready for a 14-day challenge of fitness and fun to celebrate the areas around Wellington West.
- Visit Dymon Storage Ottawa Locations and take a photo with the healthy heart displays in the closet discovery centres. Post your pictures on social media and win prizes!
Learn more about these and other great community activities at februaryisheartmonth.ca.