Wedding season, tea parties, greens sprouting—they all say spring! These savoury buttermilk biscuits are infused with a taste of the first greens of the season—asparagus and chives.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 10–14 minutes ‚Ä®(depending on size of biscuit)
Makes: 12 Biscuits
- 1½ cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 mL) baking powder
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- ¼ tsp (1.25 mL) baking soda
- ¼ cup (60 mL) cold butter cut into small squares
- ¾ cup (175 mL) cold buttermilk
- ½ cup (125 mL) finely chopped asparagus spears
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) finely chopped chives
- Heat oven to 450ºF. In food processor bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; pulse.
- Add butter pieces and pulse 3–5 times until consistency of coarse meal.
- Turn mixture into large bowl; add buttermilk asparagus and chives; stir with fork until soft dough forms.
- Turn onto floured surface, sprinkle lightly with flour. Knead gently 8–10 times until no longer sticky.
- Gently press dough to ¾ inch (2 cm) thickness; cut with 2-inch (5 cm) floured cutter. Place biscuits 2 inches (5 cm) apart on baking sheet.
- Brush lightly with buttermilk. Bake for 10–12 minutes or until golden brown.
Use tea biscuits to make sandwiches: try ricotta cheese, pea shoots and fresh figs drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper.
No buttermilk? Add 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon juice or vinegar to milk instead.