GRAMMA STELLI’S BARZIPAN
Barzipan is the abbreviated word for Marzipan Bars. Marzipan, the delicious
confectionary paste comprised mainly of sugar or honey and ground almonds, is
traditionally transformed into sculptures of fruits, veggies, and even little animals like
frogs and pigs.
This simplified square by Gramma Stelli (my mom) is less complicated, but just as
delicious, as a green and pink holiday square. The results are not only bright, colourful
and delicious, but add the finishing touch to the boring shortbread cookie tray. I hope
this becomes your family tradition too!
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp (3.75 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cold shortening
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22.5 mL) cold butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp (22.5 mL) cold water
- 3⁄4 cup (175 mL) seedless raspberry jam
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) butter, softened
- 1 cup (250 mL) white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) rice flour
- 1⁄4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- Few drops red food colouring
- Few drops green food colouring
- 2 1/2 cups (550 mL) icing sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter, softened
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) warm milk
- 1 1/2 tsp (7.5 mL) almond extract
- Line a 9x13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In food processor, lightly pulse flour, salt, shortening and butter untilshortening and butter are pea size. Add cold water; pulse until dough starts to come together.
- Roll into ball then form into round disc; cover in plastic wrap; refrigerate 30 minutes or until ready to roll.
- Roll dough into 9x13 inch rectangle; transfer to parchment-lined pan; spread raspberry jam evenly over unbaked pastry.
- In medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 1 minute; add eggs, beat until well incorporated. Fold in rice flour and salt.
- Divide batter into two different bowls and tint one green and one red; mix until desired colour.
- Place 1 tbsp (15mL) of each batter in a checkerboard pattern over the jam topped pastry.
- Bake 30- 35 minutes in 375 F oven or until firm to the touch. It will brown slightly. Cool thoroughly.
- In large bowl beat together icing sugar, butter, almond extract and warm milk until smooth; spread evenly over cooled bars.
- Trim your favourite pre-made pie crust into the base of the parchment-lined pan; you need approx 375 grams.
- Place iced bars infreezer and, once solid, transfer to a largestorage container. Cut as needed!
- Cut into small squares and immediately eat one (or two) and all the rough edges!