Nothing says I love you like breakfast in bed!
APPLE CINNAMON STUFFED FRENCH TOAST
Serves: 6 Preparation time : 15 minutes Total time: 12-16 minutes
1 large French loaf
- 6 eggs
- ľ cup 10% cream or milk
- 1 8 oz pkg light cream cheese
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 apples, Spartan or Empire, cored ?and finely grated
- 2 apples, Spartan or Empire, cored ?and sliced into 12 rings
- 1 tbsp butter
- ĺ cup pure maple syrup
- Raspberries, to garnish (optional)
- Mint leaves, to garnish (optional)
- Cut loaf into six 2-inch pieces; then slice each piece down the middle, ?but do not cut all the way through ?in order to create pockets.
- In shallow dish, beat eggs with cream.
- In medium bowl, beat cream cheese, lemon zest and cinnamon for 1 minute or until light and fluffy. Stir in shredded apples.
- Spread 1/6 of mixture in the centre of each pocket. then close firmly. Dip each bread pocket into the egg mixture, turning to coat all sides.
- In large saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tbsp butter; fry egg-dipped pocket for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown and heated through.
- Meanwhile, in second saucepan, sauté apple rings in 1 tsp butter over high heat for 2 minutes each side, or until golden and slightly softened; add maple syrup and simmer for 2 minutes, or until slightly reduced.
- To serve, place stuffed French toast on plate and top with two apple rings and maple syrup reduction. Garnish with raspberries and mint sprig. Serve to Mom immediately.